Church music philosophy

There are many challenges when it comes to the church. Yes, I know, that's the understatement of the year. The one that nearly every church has to fight is that of music style. Notice that I didn't say "worship style." That's a whole different thing. Anyway, the musical style categories have been out there for a while. You've got Liturgical, Traditional, Blended, Contemporary, Gen-X/Postmod. And each of those categories covers a pretty big swath of ground. Does anybody really know what contemporary means when it comes to church music? And lets not even try to define postmodern - for obvious reasons. This post, from Scott Magdalein takes a different look at the categories of church music style. This doesn't look so much at musical style/content as it does church music philosophy. You could look at it as production style. I think that Harvest fits into the "Concert Corporate" category. Although we have attenders who might prefer either of the other two. Personally, my philosophy would likely fall closer the "Album Corporate" group. But that's not Harvest. Maybe it's my age. Maybe it's a subconscious desire to be a preacher - let the songs bring the message. I don't know. What I do know is that I think it is wise to understand these different philosophies. Know which philosophy you hold. And know which one your church really is. If we all thought these things through it might just ease some of the heartache that happens when the church in our heart and the church on the corner don't match up.